1. The vehicle’s fuel tank must be 100% full on Collection and Drop-off.
2. Standard Insurance cover is valid in the following countries: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland & Lesotho.
3. The Hirer shall not transport materials and/or use the vehicle in such a manner that would nullify and/or reduce standard insurance cover in respect of the vehicle.
4. Third Party Cover: The standard insurance cover includes Third Party cover for South Africa only. Third party cover for any other country must be purchased at the port of entry.
5. Insurance exclusions:
a. Towing costs outside of South Africa.
b. Water, salt and sandstorm damages are not covered by any insurance cover;
c. Tyre and windscreen damage. Additional insurance at ZAR 250.00 per day is available and is highly recommended;
d. Damages to equipment losses are not covered by insurance;
e. Clutch and/or gearbox damage, negligence and willful neglect is also not covered.
6. Should the vehicle be damaged beyond use or stolen, a replacement vehicle is not included in any of the insurance cover options.
7. The insurance includes claims for accident, fire and theft only.
8. All our vehicles have standard insurance cover and we do NOT offer zero excess.
9. The vehicle is at the sole risk of the Hirer from the moment the key/vehicle is handed to the Hirer and until such time as Oryx 4×4 Rentals has recorded the return of the vehicle. Save as covered by any insurance applicable to the vehicle, the Hirer and/or designated drivers shall be liable for any and all losses and/or damages sustained to the vehicle and/or its occupants at the time of such loss/damage, howsoever the damage and/or loss is caused and whether or not it is attributable to the Hirer’s/designated driver’s fault and/or negligence. Neither Oryx 4×4 Rentals nor any of its directors, officers, employees and/or agents shall be liable for any damage or loss (including damages to and or loss of any
property left or transported in the vehicle any loss of life or any loss or damage arising from the installation or condition of any equipment and/or accessory installed in the vehicle), whether direct, indirect, as a result of or otherwise arising from the rental of the vehicle by the Hirer.
10. The Hirer and every person nominated as a designated driver shall be jointly and severally liable for the payment of all amounts due to Oryx 4×4 Rentals in respect of the rental of the vehicle.
11. Oryx 4×4 Rentals takes care of all the cross-border exit authorization letters once we have received copies of the passport, driver’s license and international driver’s license (in English) of all the designated drivers at least seven (7) working days before collection.
12. Other insurances & cross-border taxes: Clients are responsible for all compulsory Third Party Insurances; TIP Taxes (Temporary Import/Export Taxes) and/or Road Tolls when crossing into neighboring countries.
13. Rental Rates: Rental Rates are calculated according to the amount of days (irrespective of the time of delivery/collection and/or time of return/drop off) and the amount of estimated kilometers/mileage. Each day is a 24-hour period. No refunds are applicable for early returns unless arranged in advance.
14. Important Cross-border Documents: All required Cross-border Exit Letters/Authority/Documents & Insurance Cover Confirmation will be supplied by Oryx 4×4 Rentals when crossing into neighboring countries.
a. The Hirer acknowledges that he is aware of the purpose for which the vehicle was designed, as well as all safety and maintenance procedures. The Hirer is responsible to look after and maintain the vehicle during use and to return the vehicle clean (R1500 will be taken from deposit should the vehicle not be clean on return) and in good order, fair wear and tear accepted.
b. In the event of the vehicle or any of its equipment being lost or damaged during the rental period, the Hirer shall be liable to cover the cost of replacement or repair and to make good on any shortages or damages to the vehicle. Insurance cover is included and will cover loss or damage due to theft and collision damages, but not lost items or damages due to carelessness or negligence.
16. Repairs and Mechanical Failures:
a. Repairs of up to ZAR 1 000.00 can be carried out without prior authorization by Oryx 4×4 Rentals. On higher amounts, prior authorization by Oryx 4×4 Rentals is required. If no prior authorization by Oryx 4×4 Rentals is obtained, any costs in excess if ZAR 1 000.00 will be for the account of the Hirer.
b. In most cases, vehicles are still covered under the new vehicle manufacturer’s warranty and their warranty conditions will apply where mechanical failures occur. It is important to remember that Oryx 4×4 Rentals is not the manufacturer of the vehicle or equipment, but will do its utmost to select and offer the most suitable vehicles and equipment.
c. Where serious mechanical failures occur due to standard wear and tear and which cannot be repaired timeously, a replacement vehicle will be supplied, if available.
d. Inconvenience and time lost is not covered.
e. Mechanical failures and repair expenses in countries outside of South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland & Lesotho are covered only if such prices are in line with prices in South Africa. Towing, consequential damages and recovery expenses will be the Hirer’s responsibility.
17. The Hirer confirms that the Hirer and all designated drivers are aware of and acquainted with the road usage legislation applicable in each of the countries of intended visit.
a. The Hirer shall be liable for any and all fines incurred for violations of the applicable legislation. The Hirer and every designated driver hereby unconditionally and irrevocably authorize Oryx 4×4 Rentals to disclose any information required by the relevant authority in order to process such fines or citations. Please note that an administrative charge of ZAR 500.00 is payable by the Hirer in respect of each and every fine and/or citation for violations received.
b. If you exceed the legal speed limit of any country by more than 10%, 5 times and more during your trip, you will forfeit your deposit.
18. Collision Damages & Accidents:
a. All accidents must be reported to the local police within 24 hours of the accident.
b. Where collision damages render a vehicle unusable, a replacement vehicle can be supplied by Oryx 4×4 Rentals, if available.
c. The hirer is responsible for the return/repatriation of the damaged vehicle to the original office if outside the borders of South Africa.
d. No refund will be given for lost days due to collision damages.
e. Should the Hirer continue with a replacement vehicle, then a new rental contract and insurance conditions will apply.
19. Road Restrictions:
a. The four-wheel drive vehicles are allowed on all bitumen/tar and gravel roads, as well as all recognized public 4×4 roads in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Swaziland, Malawi;
b. No dune or beach driving is permitted;
c. no boat launching or recovery allowed and no driving on 4×4 tracks allowed without permission.
20. For the duration of the rental agreement, the vehicle may not be driven by any person under the age of 18 and/or who has not been in possession of a valid driver’s license for at least one year. The vehicle may not be driven by any person under the influence of any intoxicating substance, including but not limited to alcohol, medication impairing responses and narcotics.
21. Should a dispute arise between the Hirer and Oryx 4×4 Rentals in respect of the interpretation of these terms and/or any other cause whatsoever, the law of the Republic of South Africa shall apply to such dispute.
22. Cancellation policy.
Cancelation fees applicable.
20+ Days prior to collection: No Charge
7-15 Days 50% of the total signed quotation.
0-6 Days 95% of the total signed quotation.
22. By affixing a signature hereto, the Hirer declares that the hirer and all designated drivers have read these terms and consider themselves bound thereby.